Fugu poisoning closes Nago sushi bar for two days

The Okinawa Prefectural Community Health Division announced Sep. 25th its decision to order a sushi bar in Nago, Yakko-zushi, to close down for two days effective immediately.

Health Division officials say they made the decision after two customers suffered a food poisoning after eating a meal of fugu, also known as puffer fish, at the restaurant. Fugu can be dangerously poisonous, even lethal, if it’s not prepared adequately. The two customers were hospitalized for fugu poisoning, but are now recovering.

According to Nago City Health Care Center, the two customers, a man in his 50’s and a woman in her 30’s who ate fried puffer fish developed typical fugu poisoning symptoms like numbness in lips, tongue, and extremities. They also experienced trouble with walking.

11:31 15 Apr , 2024