Hirayachi – Okinawan pancake
As Wikipedia puts it, hirayachi is an Okinawan pancake-like dish. It is not sweet and not too heavy. You don’t need a lot of ingredients and just mixing is all that’s required to make it. Hirayachi is a popular Okinawan snack for kids and adults. Also it will accompany your beer or awamori perfectly if you feel like a drink.
Ingredients(to make 6 to 8)
• Light bonito flakes
• 2/3 cup or 60g cake flour 薄力粉
• 3/4 cup of water
• ½ teaspoon salt
• Few branches of Chinese chives, chopped into small pieces
• Vegetable or sesame oil
1. Mix the cake flour, water and salt in a bowl and mix well.
2. Add the Chinese chives into this (step 1).
3. Heat a pan and keep it on a low heat. Then pour some oil and wipe the oil with kitchen paper to make a thin layer of oil.
4. Pour one ladle scoop of flour mix into the pan and sprinkle the bonito flakes.
5. Once the edge of the hirayachi becomes dry and starts to peel off from the pan, turn it over and cook the other side for 1 to 2 minutes.
You can add shrimps or seafood to your mix. Also you can eat it with Worcestershire sauce, as we do with okonomiyaki.
Tuesday 7th April 10:30am – Let’s roll sushi!
Saturday 11th April 10:30am – Let’s roll sushi!
You will learn to make really beautiful and tasty sushi rolls and temari sushi.
The sushi we make in this class is great to enjoy at home, but you can also make it for a party. I am sure that your sushi will impress your guests. To book a space, please visit my website. ¥5,000 per person.
Website: okinawa-cooking.com Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.school.with.nao Tel: 098-955-5311 Address: 862-1 Namihira, Yomitan village, Okinawa 904-0322 Closed on Sundays