Ensai Itame – Fried water spinach with garlic
Water spinach, エンサイ, grows in tropical and subtropical countries, so we have it in Okinawa. The first time I ever tasted this vegetable was at a Thai restaurant in Tokyo. It was one of my favorite dishes but after I left Tokyo I didn’t see this vegetable anywhere – until I moved to Okinawa. I was so happy to find water spinach here. So this week I would like to share my water spinach recipe.
1. Wash and dry the water spinach and cut it into two-inch long.
2. Chop the garlic into small pieces.
3. Heat a pan and pour in the sesame oil. Once the oil is heated, fry the water spinach and garlic on a high heat.
4. Once the oil has mixed with the water spinach, add water and put a lid on the pan for 2 to 3 minutes to steam cook.
5. Take the lid off and add salt and pepper. Cook for few more minutes until the water has evaporated.
Let’s roll –sushi class Wednesday Sep. 16th, ¥5,000.
In this class you will learn to make really beautiful and tasty sushi rolls as well as other sushi, such as gunkan and temari sushi. The sushi we make in this class is great to enjoy at home for you, and even with kids, but you can also make it for a party. It is a very popular and fun class!
Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.school.with.nao Tel: 098-955-5311 Address: 1414-61 Sobe, Yomitan Village, Okinawa 904-0304. Closed on Sunday.