Gyu-don – Sweet and salty beef with rice
In Japan, there are a lot of donburi dishes. Donburi means a bowl of rice with food on top. Popular and famous ones are oyako-don (eggs and chicken), ten-don (tempura on top of rice), katsu-don (deep fried pork cutlet on rice), and this, gyu-don. If you like the gyu-don restaurant すき家（Sukiya), you should try this recipe. You will be surprised how easy it is to recreate this juicy and delicious flavor.
- 7 oz thinly sliced beef plate 牛ばら肉 or 牛こま切れ肉
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1 eringi mushroom (king trumpet mushroom), sliced and cut into 1.5-inch pieces
- ½ inch ginger, cut into thin sticks
- Sauce – mix into one bowl:
1 cup water
1 tbs sugar
2 tbs mirin (sweet sake)
2 tbs sake
4 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Plain steamed rice
- Red ginger for garnish
1. Heat a pan to medium heat and pour in the vegetable oil. Add sliced beef and cook until the beef’s color changes.
2. Add mushrooms and mix with the beef. Once the mushrooms become soft, add the sauce and ginger.
3. Once the sauce boils, reduce to a low-heat and cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to 2/3.
4. Add onion and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Dish up the rice into a bowl, and add the cooked beef with the sauce on top.
Introducing Japanese Cooking
Week 3 Japanese curry from scratch – spaces left
¥5,000 (cash) or ¥5,175 (Paypal) per class
Do you like Japanese curry but don’t want additives? Or you want to enjoy Japanese curry wherever you go? This is the class for you. The class size is small and limited to 6 people. There will be a lot to learn and cook. Very hands-on cooking class in a homely atmosphere.
Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.school.with.nao Tel: 098-955-5311 Address: 1414-61 Sobe, Yomitan Village, Okinawa 904-0304. Closed on Sunday.