Kinoko gohan – Steamed rice with chicken and mushrooms
Although you can purchase mushrooms throughout the year, the actual season for mushrooms is autumn. Japanese cuisine places a strong emphasis on the seasonality of ingredients, and as mainland Japan has four clear seasons you see more seasonality than in Okinawa. Autumn in Okinawa might be very short compared to mainland Japan but let me introduce my favourite autumn mushroom dish.
To serve 4-6
Cooking with a rice cooker version
- 3 cups Japanese rice
- 3 oz chicken breast, cut into about 1/3 inch cubes
- 1 pack maitake まいたけmushrooms, cut into small pieces
- 1 pack shimeji 椎茸mushrooms, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 tsp dashi powder
- 1 tbs sake or awamori
- 2-3 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin (sweet sake)
- 1 tbs grated ginger
- Pinch of salt
1. Wash the rice and leave in the sieve for 20 minutes.
2. Place the rice into a rice cooker. Add dashi powder, soy sauce, mirin, sake or awamori and salt.
3. Pour water until you reach the line to cook 3 cups of rice. (Your usual measurement to cook 3 cups of rice.)
4. Place mushrooms, chicken and ginger on top of the rice.
5. Now turn on the rice cooker! It is better to leave it for 15 minutes to sit after the rice cooker has finished cooking the rice. Do not open the rice cooker immediately after the rice is done.
Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.school.with.nao Tel: 098-955-5311 Address: 1414-61 Sobe, Yomitan Village, Okinawa 904-0304. Closed on Sunday.