Tuna salad -Tuna with Chinese chives
Chinese chives are in season right now and you can buy them at a really reasonable price at farmers’ markets. This is just one of the ways you can use nice fresh Chinese chives.
- 4 oz fresh tuna sashimi block
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 5 branches of Chinese chives, cut into thumb lengths
- 1/4 carrot, cut into thumb-length thin sticks
- 1 tbs Japanese broth dashi (please refer to picture)
- 1/2 tbs mayonnaise
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan and cook the tuna block lightly. Be careful not to cook too much. It should only be cooked on the outside. Once the tuna block is cool enough, slice and put aside.
- Mix all the vegetables in a bowl and add the broth and mayonnaise.
- Once the vegetables are well mixed, add tuna and mix gently.
Tips – You can use Japanese broth for many different dishes. There are so many different types of broth and you might find it difficult to choose which one to use. The one in the picture is a broth made with kelp and soy sauce. You can use this for udon or soba noodles.
Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.school.with.nao Tel: 098-955-5311 Address: 862-1 Namihira, Yomitan Village, Okinawa 904-0322 Closed on Sunday.